According to mycanadianwedding.com, the average cost of a wedding in Canada is $20,000 to $30,000. But a wedding doesn't necessarily have to break the bank. Here are some smart ways to save costs on your wedding, and a budget to help you stay on track:
- Avoid the high season. Prime season for weddings is spring and summer. Save on venue costs by holding your wedding off-season.
- Choose an alternative time or day. Hold your ceremony during the day and cut down costs on a big sit-down dinner. Or, consider an alternative day to the traditional Saturday.
- Wear a dress that suits you. There's no rule that says you have to wear a traditional wedding dress such as one you would find in bridal magazines. Choose a dress that suits your own personality and style.
- Cut down on the invitation list. It will be a more intimate affair with a smaller group. Avoid inviting distant family friends or long-lost relatives. Have a personal relationship with everyone in the room.
- Do it yourself. Cut more costs by addressing your own invitation envelopes and buying thank you gifts in bulk at a warehouse store. Hire a professional photographer who may not shoot weddings full-time. You will likely be able to buy all the negatives instead of expensive packages that give you limited choice.
Planning is the key to having the wedding you've always dreamed of. Talk to a financial advisor to help you start a savings plan so you don't start your marriage off in debt.